Your Cart is Currently Empty
DIY DOG BED: SUPER EASY TO MAKE
Do you know that it is very easy to make a dog bed at home for your beloved pet? There are different easy to get materials, ranging from old tires to sweatshirts, that you can use to make a dog bed for your pooch in just a few simple steps!
All of these DIY dog bed options are pretty easy to follow, especially if you've got a creative streak. Making a bed for your pooch using any of the DIY methods commonly used will leave your dog with a comfortable place where he can always go to rest. However, we are going to focus on how to make a regular dog bed all by yourself.
DIY dog bed with sewing method
If you can sew and you’ve got a sewing machine at home, then you can make a dog bed for your pet using a sewing machine. Even if you are not so good at sewing, you can still do it, as it does not require real expertise. To begin, you will need to get some materials ready for this task. Not to worry though, they are easily available and inexpensive materials that will save you the cost of purchasing a regular bed for your pooch. The materials you need include:
- A sewing machine
- A pair of scissors
- Measuring tape
Once you’ve gotten your materials ready, you are ready to begin making the bed. You can do so using the following steps:
- To begin, you need to measure your pet so that you know what size of bed you are going to make. While you can get away with making a bed that is a little too big for your pooch, making one that is too small for the animal will not be okay.
- Take the fabric and cut out an appropriate measurement using your scissors. The fabric that you cut should be big enough to be a fit for the foam that you are using.
- Next, sew the sides of the fabric together, except for one side, which is where you will stuff the foam through.
- Sew the zipper on the ends of that last side. Make sure the zipper is long enough to cover the length of that side, or at least long enough to cover a large portion of it. This is because using a long zipper will make it easier to open and remove the foam when you want to wash the bed.
- Take the foam and stuff the pillowcase that you just made with it, and you have your dog bed ready.
DIY dog bed without sewing
Not everyone has a sewing machine, knows how to sew, or is even willing to do so. If you are not inclined to sew, but still want to make a dog bed for your pet, here is how you can do it. To begin, measure your pooch so that you can know what size of bed the animal needs. You will need a few materials which are two yards of fleece fabric, scissors, measuring tape, and a pillow, foam, or even old clothes for stuffing. Follow the steps below to make the dog bed:
- Measure and cut out the fleece (you’ll need two pieces of fleece for this task). Each one should be larger than the pillow you are using, with at least four or five inches on all sides. You can get a pattern that matches your home décor, or one that you really like.
- Place the cut-out fleece on a hard and smooth surface such as on tile or a counter.
- Next, begin cutting into the sides of the fleece one inch apart until you cut through the whole side.
- Begin to tie the cut fleece together, but do not tie the side through which you will fix the pillow. Tie the pieces firmly enough that they will not easily loosen, but not so tightly that you will be unable to loosen them when you want to wash the bed.
- Stuff your pillow or foam through the opening you left after which you can tie the remaining pieces, and your dog bed is set.
Your pooch deserves to have his own space where he can go to relax and feel comfortable, just as you and your family have yours. Getting a dog bed for your pet does not have to be expensive. You can get all creative, whip out a few easily available materials, and make a dog bed that your pooch will love!